Apple, cranberry and almond pudding recipe to pair with the Leopard’s Leap Culinaria Muscat de Frontignan
2nd July 2013
50 g dried cranberries
250 ml (1 cup) boiling water
250 g castor sugar
30 g butter
125 g flour
5 g baking powder
5 ml (1 tsp) ground cinnamon
1 ml (¼ tsp) salt
70 ml milk
2 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
100 g flaked almonds, lightly toasted
For the sauce
250 ml (1 cup) Leopard’s Leap Muscat
40 g sugar
30 g butter
125 ml (½ cup) milk
For the caramelised apples
50 g sugar
50 g butter
4 apples, peeled, cored and quartered
double cream, to serve
Preheat oven to 180 °C. Line and grease a 20 cm × 29 cm baking tray with baking paper.
- For the cake, place the cranberries and boiling water in a bowl. Set aside to soften.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and creamy. Gradually add the egg and whisk until well combined.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together. Add the dry ingredients, alternating with the milk, to the sugar mixture.
- Drain the cranberries. Stir the apples, cranberries and half of the almonds into the batter. Spoon into the prepared pan and bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- For the sauce, combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Once the pudding comes out of the oven, pierce with a skewer. Pour the hot sauce over the pudding and leave to saturate. Cool before removing from the tray.
- For the caramelised apples, place the sugar and butter in a saucepan on low heat and melt for 5 – 7 minutes. Add the apple quarters and fry until golden and caramelised. Set aside.
- Serve with double cream, caramelised apples and Muscat de Frontignan.