Tomato and buffalo mozzarella tart
19th December 2016
Tomato and buffalo mozzarella tart with Kalamata olives and fig, balsamic vinegar and coriander flavoured onion jam
Serves 8 – 10
225 g plain flour
100 g butter
2 tsp finely grated Parmesan cheese
1 large punnet Rosa tomatoes
1 large ball of buffalo mozzarella
100 g drained Kalamata olives, pitted and halved
170 g AB Products fig, balsamic vinegar and coriander flavoured onion jam
30 g fresh basil
- Sift the flour into a large bowl, add the butter and rub in with fingertips until the mixture resembles fine bread-crumbs.
- Stir in the salt, then add 2 – 3 tablespoons water and mix to a firm dough. Add the Parmesan cheese and knead the dough briefly and gently on a floured surface. Wrap in cling film and chill while preparing the filling.
- Wash the tomatoes and cut them in halve.
- Slice the mozzarella in thin slices and cut in halve.
- Wash the basil, keep a couple of leaves as garnish and chop the rest fine.
- Roll the pastry out to about 3 mm and line an oven-proof pie dish. Trim the sides and bake at 180 °C for 12 minutes or until just starting to brown.
- Scoop the jam into the pastry shell and spread evenly over the bottom. Mix the tomatoes, olives and chopped basil in a bowl and then carefully spread on top of the jam. Add the mozzarella halves in a pattern on top.
- Bake at 180 °C for another 15 minutes until the mozzarella is melted and the crust is crisp.
- Allow to cool and serve with a green salad garnish and balsamic reduction.
- Try with the versatile Leopard’s Leap Chenin Blanc or our easy-drinking Chardonnay Pinot Noir.